The bottom part was more difficult. To support the weight that will be on the lower hinge, I built a bracket that not only backs the sheet metal surface, but also bolts solid to the pillar and rear sill. Then I ground off the welds and cut out the finished size hole. Well, while getting most of the build page up, I've compiled quite the list of things that are about 80% done. It was surprising light and easy to move. The damage was not on the seal surface, but I couldn't bring myself to put it back together that way.
And a shot from the rear. I started this project in Feb '13. Here's the design of the tube structure. The Blazer quickly became popular. The front had a hitch welded between the rails and was cracked around the bumper mounts. Cracks were V-cut and welded up and some sections of metal were completely replaced.
Here is the final fitting of the lower hinge. Two transfer cases were offered: the 20, available only with the manual transmissions, or the , available with both types of transmissions. Sitting on the dolly mounts once again. I have always had perfect vision, but with age its getting not so perfect. Thanks for the link though. After some measurements and mock-ups of having the tires sitting on a step stool for location, I found a position that will not block the license plate, lights or stick up too high above the tailgate. The frame was in poor condition.
The rear frame rails are longer on the newer models. Although the was introduced in the spring of 1987 as a 1988 model, the K5 Blazer, Suburban, and crew-cab trucks retained the earlier platform until 1991. The rear frame rails are longer on the newer models. A new brake warning light on the dashboard was also introduced for 1990. Here's another shot of the almost completed re-enforcement for the steering box section of the frame.
Actually, they had it done in 4 hours. I use these frequently at work and will be using them throughout this build as well. This thread is a discussion of my build. Here is the final fitting of the lower hinge. Other than the frame horns and bent rear sections, the frame was relatively solid and in good shape. For the 1990 model year, all Blazers now had a standard rear wheel anti-lock braking system.
Then I tacked in the metal and welded it solid using the tack method. Each hole was drilled, tapped and a bolt installed before the next hole was drilled. In 1971 when they went to disc brakes these changed to the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. I decided against fish mouth plates do to the awkward area and asthetics. This is a shot from inside the light hole where the mounting surface support can be seen. Some decommissioned M1009s end up in law enforcement use e. I will be getting the rear springs re-arched to level the body after final assembly.
Good to see your going back at it on the build. Many of the exterior and interior design elements are borrowed from the sixth-generation Camaro. This is what's left from the sale of the F550 that wouldn't fit on the the 2000 chevy 2500. For assembly, I used a M10x1. The bend had to have two different radius to sit level on the body due to the taper of the bed. I forget people associate grinders with grinding wheels and cutoff wheels. I ended up removing the rivets from the cross-member since I couldn't get it clean enough to paint.
Other than the frame horns and bent rear sections, the frame was relatively solid and in good shape. Here is a shot of the finished part, still needing some corner contouring and holes drilled but otherwise finished. After attempting to work on a few of the list items over the last week or so, I've found that my vision is impeding me from doing the meticulous work I use to do. I will be getting the rear springs re-arched to level the body after final assembly. Each hole was drilled, tapped and a bolt installed before the next hole was drilled. These plates will be mounted using serrated bolts and nuts. All the parts were sprayed with etching primer as well as the frame.